In the realm of classic American comfort foods, Mac & Cheese holds a special place in our hearts. But when it comes to my supper club, where culinary standards reach new heights, a standard recipe is simply unacceptable. So, let me share with you a recipe that not only pays homage to tradition but elevates it to a whole new level.
View this post on Instagram
The Secret Ingredient: Exceptional Cheese
The key to any great Mac & Cheese lies in the cheese selection, and for this holiday-worthy version, we’re breaking away from the norm. Say goodbye to the usual cheddar or American cheese—our star players are gouda and gruyere. These cheeses, when carefully aged, bring a subtle nutty flavor that transforms the dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
A Twist on Tradition
Created for a past supper club, this Mac & Cheese recipe is a testament to the club’s philosophy: every dish must have a twist or a kick. In this rendition of the classic pasta dish, we’ve not only swapped out the standard cheeses but upgraded them for a richer flavor profile.
How to Create the Magic
1. Cheese Selection: Opt for gouda and gruyere, preferably aged for that extra depth of flavor.
2. Cooking Process: Follow the classic Mac & Cheese cooking process, allowing the cheeses to melt into a creamy, indulgent sauce.
3. Surprise Factor: Bring this dish to your holiday table, and watch the eyebrows raise in surprise and delight.
Why It’s Your Go-To Recipe
Simple to prepare yet undeniably impressive, this Mac & Cheese is the perfect addition to your holiday festivities. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or a festive gathering with friends, this dish is sure to be a showstopper.
Stay tuned for more delectable recipes in our Holiday Recipe Series. Each dish is crafted with the same passion for culinary innovation that defines our supper club. Let’s make this holiday season a feast to remember.
Mac & Cheese
- 1 box Mezzi rigatoni
- polish smoked bacon
- aged greyere
- aged gouda
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- in a skillet melt butter
- add flour and mix
- add milk and stir to form roux
- shred cheese
- add cheese into roux
- separately boil pasta water and cook pasta until al dente
- slice bacon thick and cook on grill
- line the bottom of a deep baking pan with the bacon
- drain pasta and mix in cheese roux. Reserve some for top of mac and cheese
- mix pasta and cheese roux well then pour pasta into pan on top of bacon
- sprinkle with paprika
- bake in oven for 30-40 minutes on 350